Please note: Street and Track Series Coilovers are currently subject to an approximate 3-week delivery period from time of purchase.
Supashock Street & Track Series Coilovers for BMW M5 vehicles offer performance unlike any other coilovers on the market. Featuring world-leading technology, Supashock’s performance coilover system gives you the winning edge on the road and the track.
As with all Supashock products, our BMW M5 coilovers are individually tested, tuned and set up by our experienced race engineers.
Straight out the box, Supashock BMW M5 performance coilover system is set at our recommended settings. The damper lengths and spring perches are set to our baseline, requiring only fine adjustments to suit your individual vehicle setup.
Everything we stock at Supashock;
- Contains the same kinds of innovative and advanced suspension technology used to enhance vehicles in important industries such as defence, mining and motorsports
- Is manufactured from durable and high quality materials
- Has a far superior strength compared to any competitor or OEM product
Supashock Street & Track Series Coilovers offer the perfect combination of track orientation and street-friendly ride quality, the benchmark for performance drivers. Supashock engineers balance the optimal spring rate with damping force to give you the most responsive and accurate handling performance coilover system for your vehicle.
The BMW M5 is a high-performance version of the BMW 5 Series luxury sedan produced by BMW's in-house performance division. It is known for its powerful engines, sport-tuned suspension, and advanced technology features. The M5 is a popular choice among car enthusiasts who want a high-performance sedan that can also provide a comfortable ride and luxurious amenities.
With Supashock’s BMW M5 performance coilover system, you can enhance your M5’s performance or tweak the adjustable ride height without compromising on any of the features that make it such a notable automobile.
What stock suspension does the BMW M5 E34 and E39 come with (and why is it worth switching out)?
The BMW M5 E34 and E39 both come with a rear-wheel-drive and a standard suspension system consisting of MacPherson struts in the front and a multi-link setup in the rear. However, both models also have the option for a sport suspension package, which includes stiffer springs, upgraded shock absorbers, and larger anti-roll bars.
Changing the suspension of a BMW M5 E34 or E39 is worth considering for several reasons:
- A properly tuned suspension can improve the handling and overall performance of the vehicle. Upgraded suspension components can provide better grip, reduce body roll, and improve stability, making the car more responsive and predictable in corners and other driving situations.
- Depending on the suspension setup chosen, it is possible to achieve a more comfortable and compliant ride while still maintaining the handling benefits. The sport suspension package, for example, offers stiffer springs and dampers for improved performance without sacrificing ride quality.
- Changing the suspension of a BMW M5 E34 or E39 offers the opportunity to customise the handling characteristics of the car to better suit the driver's preferences. It is possible to choose different spring rates, dampers, and other components to tailor the suspension to specific driving styles or use cases.
- Suspension components wear out over time and can become damaged, leading to a degraded driving experience and potential safety issues. Upgrading the suspension provides an opportunity to replace these components with higher-quality parts, improving both safety and performance.
What is the difference between the BMW M5 E34 and E39
The BMW M5 E34 and E39 are two different generations of the BMW M5 sedan. While both cars share some similarities, there are also significant differences between them, including;
- The E34 and E39 have different exterior designs. The E34 has a more angular, boxy shape, while the E39 has a more rounded, aerodynamic look.
- The E34 M5 is powered by a 3.6-liter inline-six engine, while the E39 M5 has a 4.9-liter V8 engine. The E39 M5 also has more power, producing 394 horsepower compared to the E34 M5's 311 horsepower.
- The E34 M5 is available with a 5-speed manual or a 4-speed automatic transmission, while the E39 M5 is only available with a 6-speed manual transmission.
- The E39 has a stiffer chassis and a more advanced suspension system, which provided better handling and improved ride comfort compared to the E34.
- The E39 has more advanced technology features, such as a GPS navigation system, a more advanced audio system, and a more sophisticated climate control system.
INVERTED MONOTUBE COILOVER DESIGN
Your BMW M5 has a MacPherson strut set up. You will see the option to choose Supashock’s Inverted Monotube Coilover configuration for your vehicle. Please note, some vehicles have MacPherson struts front and rear, some only at one end.
Supashock strongly recommends selecting the Inverted Monotube Coilover option for your vehicle where available, for several reasons:
- The lateral force experienced by the damper is exerted on the outer cylinder, rather than the damper shaft, piston, and their seals. The result is greater overall rigidity, resistance to bending and less susceptibility to damage than standard design coilovers.
- Monotube configuration of the inverted coilover offers greater piston area, oil capacity and separation of oil and gas. This configuration offers consistent and tuneable damping in comparison to a twin-tube damper design.
- Greater surface area and oil volume allows for better thermal dissipation (cooling).
STANDARD MONOTUBE COILOVER DESIGN
Supashock’s Standard Monotube Coilover design is far superior to Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) designs. The monotube configuration offers greater piston area, oil capacity and separation of oil and gas, giving you greater performance, strength, cooling and adjustability. Supashock coilovers offer consistent and tunable damping compared to a twin-tube damper commonly found in OEM designs.
KEY FEATURES & SPECIFICATIONS (ALL MODELS)
- Monotube Inverted Coilover Design.
- 30 clicks of adjustable damping (1-way), adjusts compression and rebound simultaneously.
- Camber adjustable (where applicable) via camber plate or slotted strut foot.
- Full-length adjustable ride height; whether you want to lift your vehicle, or you’re looking for a suspension lowering kit.
- Upper mounts are pillow ball or OEM configuration, dependent on vehicle model.
- Forged aluminium, adjustable spring seat and locking collar.
- Fully serviceable/rebuildable.
- 55mm steel shock body on inverted coilover designs.
- 'Wave' alloy steel thrust washer on inverted coilover designs.
- Ready to install.
- Pillow ball upper mounts do add greater road feel for increased handling and accuracy but can result in torsional spring noise occasionally. There is no detriment to the function or safety of coilovers. Returns under warranty for noises associated with the pillow ball upper mounts will not be considered. For investigative work related to coilover noise, workshop rates will apply if products are found to have no issues.
- In some vehicle set-ups, the spring will be separate from the damper. This design will sometimes be respected, and then you will receive a damper and spring separately. Height will generally be changed via a supplied adjustable spring seat.
- Photos shown are inverted monotube design front and rear coilovers. Actual product will vary depending on vehicle model and coilover configuration chosen.
Model specific notes:
- E34 Models - welding is required for coilover installation.
- E39 Models - self-levelling and wagon models excepted.
FAQs About BMW M5 Coilovers
What are BMW M5 coilovers, and how are they different from traditional suspension systems?
BMW M5 coilovers are a type of aftermarket suspension system designed specifically for the BMW M5. They differ from traditional suspension systems in that they allow for adjustable ride height and damping, which can be customised to suit different driving styles and conditions.
What benefits can I expect from installing BMW M5 coilovers on my car?
Installing BMW M5 coilovers can provide several benefits, including improved handling, better ride quality, increased performance, and a more personalised driving experience. They can also enhance the appearance of the vehicle by providing a lower and more aggressive stance.
Can BMW M5 coilovers be adjusted to suit different driving conditions or styles?
Yes, BMW M5 coilovers can be adjusted to suit different driving conditions and styles. They feature adjustable ride height and damping, which can be fine-tuned to provide optimal performance and comfort in a variety of driving situations.
How long does it take to install BMW M5 coilovers, and can I do it myself?
The installation time for BMW M5 coilovers can vary depending on the specific coilover kit being installed and the expertise of the installer. It can range from a few hours to a full day. While it is possible to install coilovers yourself, it is strongly recommended to have a professional mechanic perform the installation to ensure proper fitment and alignment.
What factors should I consider when choosing BMW M5 coilovers for my car?
When choosing BMW M5 coilovers, factors to consider include the intended use (daily driving or track/racing), ride height preferences, spring rates, damping adjustability, and budget.
Are BMW M5 coilovers suitable for daily driving, or are they primarily designed for racing and track use?
BMW M5 coilovers can be suitable for daily driving, especially if they are properly tuned and set up. However, some coilovers may be more geared towards track use and may provide a firmer ride.
What kind of maintenance is required for BMW M5 coilovers, and how often should I have them inspected?
BMW M5 coilovers require regular maintenance, including inspection of the components, cleaning, and lubrication of moving parts. It is recommended to have them inspected and serviced at least once a year or more frequently if the vehicle is subjected to harsh driving conditions.
How much should I expect to spend on BMW M5 coilovers, and are they worth the investment?
The cost of BMW M5 coilovers can vary widely depending on the brand, specific features, and level of customisation. It is important to set a budget and consider the benefits and value of the coilovers before making a purchase. In many cases, BMW M5 coilovers can be a worthwhile investment for those looking to improve the performance and handling of their vehicle.